- This event has passed.
CSI Chicago Chapter Meeting
November 19, 2019 @ 5:00 PM - November 20, 2019 @ 8:00 PM
Updates on Air Barrier Association of America (ABAA) Research Initiatives and Impacts on Specification of AWB’s
Building enclosure design involves balancing the demands of air, water and thermal considerations. Air and water barriers (AWB) are often incorporated to provide weather protection which require continuity to perform successfully. Available guidelines for detailing and testing the installed AWB is limited, and installation practices are not consistent from project to project. While improved installation methods and consensus standards for validating air and water tightness are needed, ABAA has also identified a need for research to assess moisture detection approaches and the evaluation methodologies to employ. This session will discuss the research underway, as well as the background and context of the current practices related to AWB’s.
Sarah K. Flock, NCARB, BECxP, CxA+BE
Co-Chair of the Research Committee for the Air Barrier Association of America (ABAA)
The presentation will focus on the following learning objectives:
- Introduce the history of Water Resistive Barriers (WRBs) and current trends.
- Discuss existing code compliance and standards.
- Summarize ABAA research and testing status including for fastener penetrations and pull adhesion.
- Review of current and proposed test methods.
- Discuss practical approaches to improving specifications using currently available test standards.
Continuing Education: 1.0 AIA CES LU|HSW