- This event has passed.
Mock-Ups: The Crash Test Dummy for the Building Enclosure
December 21, 2023 @ 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM EST
How does an owner, architect or builder know if their building enclosure is: installed correctly, using the right products, will work as anticipated with adjacent materials, and perform to today’s energy and building codes? Performance Mockups, or First Run Studies, provide key insights to these important questions. This presentation will review why enclosures are critical for energy efficiency, sustainability, and durability, and explain how every building is unique. We will then review and discuss the advantages/disadvantages of the various types of mockups, using examples from actual projects, along with discussing various industry performance tests and standards typically performed on Functional or tested mockups. The last part of the presentation will review and provide ideas on how to take the Lessons Learned from the mock and use that information as on-site training for the tradesmen who will be installing the enclosure for that project.
- Discuss building science and why Mock-Ups are so important
- Describe and provide examples of various types and sizes of Mock Ups that can be constructed
- Review various ASTM / AAMA tests for Mock-Ups
- How do we transfer the knowledge of a Mock-Up to our tradesmen?
BRIAN STROIK, CABS, FABAA
American Contractors Insurance Group, Performance Excellence & Quality Consultant
Brian Stroik is a recognized industry leader in the construction of energy-efficient, sustainable, and durable buildings. Brian is involved with key industry organizations – For three years, he has served as Chair of the Air Barrier Association of America (ABAA), and he’s been voted for two years to the Board of Directors for the Building Enclosure Technology and Environmental Council (BETEC), has obtained certifications as a Certified Air Barrier Specialist (CABS) and Construction Risk and Insurance Specialist (CRIS) and is currently a Performance Excellence & Quality Consultant for American Contractors Insurance Group, a company that focuses on Quality in Construction for some of the largest construction companies in the United States.
Brian is a frequent speaker on the subjects of Commissioning the building enclosure (BECx), Quality in construction, and mock-ups / first-run studies. Brian has also chaired numerous speaker sessions at national conferences and hosted roundtable discussions.
He holds the following industry positions and affiliations:
- Past Chair, Air Barrier Association of America (ABAA):
- Past Chair Research Committee
- ABAA Executive Committee
- ABAA Board Member
- Past Chair, National Building Enclosure Council (NBEC)
- Advisory Board Member, Building Enclosure Technology and Environmental Council (BETEC a Council of the National Institute of Building Sciences – NIBS), Washington, DC
- Founder and Chair, Building Enclosure Council of Wisconsin (BEC-WI)
- Voting member of ASTM E06 – Building Performance
- Senior Member, American Society of Quality (ASQ)
- Certified, American Society for Healthcare Engineering (ASHE)
White papers by Mr. Stroik on the subjects of building energy efficiency and building enclosure design, among others, have been published in The Journal of Energy Efficiency & Reliability, The Journal of Building Enclosure Design and SprayFoam Magazine.