- This event has passed.
The Insurance Guy’s Top 5 Concerns with the Building Enclosure
June 2 @ 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM EDT
Issues in the construction of building enclosures cost the United States billions of dollars annually in installer rework, construction defect claims, manufacturers donating products, and construction managers having to go back to ensure the project Now performs as designed. This presentation will discuss the top five issues regarding building enclosures, as seen from the eyes of a former quality director, insurance claims, and current industry trends.
- Acquire knowledge in critical aspects of design, based on building science principles, by using sample details for continuity, redundancy, and certain code requirements of the air barrier system.
- Plan successful performance mock-up and site testing program to verify continuity, compatibility and sequence of construction by review of sample mock-ups and test methods that can be applied to both quantify performance and provide a learning tool for the construction team.
- Describe the process for successful pre-construction and pre-installation meetings.
- Explain the various test methods for installation verification for both air and water performance by reviewing ASTM and AAMA test standards and how they are conducted and when they should be conducted through examples and photos.
Brian Stroik is a recognized industry leader in the construction of energy efficient, sustainable and durable buildings.
Brian is involved with key industry organizations – For three years, he has served as Chair of the Air Barrier Association of America (ABAA), he’s been voted for two years to the Board of Directors for the Building Enclosure Technology and Environmental Council (BETEC), has obtained certifications as a Certified Air Barrier Specialist (CABS) and Construction Risk and Insurance Specialist (CRIS) and is currently a Performance Excellence & Quality Consultant for American Contractors Insurance Group, a company that focuses on Quality in Construction for some of the largest construction companies in the United States.
Brian is a frequent speaker on the subjects of: Commissioning the building enclosure (BECx), Quality in construction, and mock-ups / first run studies. Brian has also chaired numerous speaker sessions at national conferences and hosted roundtable discussions. He holds the following industry positions and affiliations:
- Chair, Air Barrier Association of America (ABAA): Past Chair Research Committee
- ABAA Executive Committee Vice-Chair
- Past Chair, National Building Enclosure Council (NBEC)
- Advisory Board Member, Building Enclosure Technology and Environmental Council (BETEC a Council of the National Institute of Building Sciences – NIBS), Washington, DC
- Founder and Chair, Building Enclosure Council of Wisconsin (BEC-WI)
- Voting member of ASTM E06 – Building Performance
- Senior Member, American Society of Quality (ASQ)
- Certified, American Society for Healthcare Engineering (ASHE)
White papers by Mr. Stroik on the subjects of building energy efficiency and building enclosure design, among others, have been published in The Journal of Energy Efficiency & Reliability, The Journal of Building Enclosure Design and SprayFoam Magazine.