- This event has passed.
Mock-ups: The Crash Test Dummy for Building Enclosures
June 3 @ 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
How does an owner, architect or builder know if their building enclosure is: installed correctly, using the right products, will work as anticipated with adjacent materials, and perform to today’s energy and building codes? Performance Mock Ups, or First Run Studies, provide key insights to these important questions. This presentation will review why enclosures are critical for energy efficiency, sustainability and durability, and explain how every building is unique. We will then review and discuss the advantages / disadvantages of the various types of mock ups, using examples from actual projects, along with discussing various industry performance tests and standards typically performed on Functional or tested mock ups. The last part of the presentation will review and provide ideas on how to take the Lessons Learned from the mock and use that information as an on-site training for the tradesmen whom will be installing the enclosure for that project.
- Discover how prefabrication offers productivity advantages for the building envelope.
- Discuss how prefabrication can address common issues at the job site including weather delays, crew safety, quality control, labor shortages and scheduling.
- Explore how traditionally applied WRB-AB and integrated WRB-AB sheathing solutions are impacting lean manufacturing productivity goals.
- Compare WRB-AB integrated sheathing solutions transportability from prefabrication factory to the job site.
Brian Stroik is a recognized industry leader in the construction of energy efficient, sustainable and durable buildings.
Brian works with key industry organizations – including the Air Barrier Association of America, the National Building Enclosure Council, the Building Enclosure Technology and Environmental Council (BETEC), and ASTM E06 – on research and education regarding building enclosures, energy efficiency, retrofitting and upgrading existing building enclosures.
Brian is a frequent speaker on the subjects of: Commissioning the building enclosure (BECx), Quality in construction, and mock ups / first run studies. Brian has also chaired numerous speaker sessions at national conferences and hosted roundtable discussions. He holds the following industry positions and affiliations:
• Past Chair, National Building Enclosure Council (NBEC)
• Chair, Air Barrier Association of America (ABAA): Past Chair Research Committee
• Advisory Board Member, Building Enclosure Technology and Environmental Council (BETEC a Council of the National Institute of Building Sciences – NIBS), Washington, DC
• Founder and Chair, Building Enclosure Council of Wisconsin (BEC-WI)
• Voting member of ASTM E06 – Building Performance
• Senior Member, American Society of Quality (ASQ)
• Certified, American Society for Healthcare Engineering (ASHE)
White papers by Mr. Stroik on the subjects of building energy efficiency and building enclosure design, among others, have been published in The Journal of Energy Efficiency & Reliability, The Journal of Building Enclosure Design and SprayFoam Magazine.